Tuesday, June 30, 2009

0 [EDITORIAL] Someday at Christmas

I haven't really said much about Michael Jackson's passing since the news hit. It's very sad to see such talent leave us so early but on the same token the man was strange, just watch some of those Barbara Walters interviews from some years ago. Yikes!!

I own Thriller and Off the Wall on vinyl and its fun to drop the needle on those now and again, but my favorite Michael Jackson related tune gets the most play time during the holidays. I've been known to have done a little DJing, not as much as I would like but a little, and a few years ago I spun records at a friends ugly Christmas sweater party up in Everett. I decided to lug all my vinyl at the time (200+ records) up there for the one night, as I had this "brilliant" idea that I would want full range to play anything from my collection. I wouldn't say it was a mistake just alot of work. My true brilliant idea was to play to the holiday festivities and intermix famous Christmas tunes into my rock heavy set. It worked on most levels as I spun holiday classics by Frank Sinatra, John Lennon, Queen, Elvis, David Bowie and Bing Crosby between danceable rock hits by Led Zeppelin, Black Crowes, Journey, Tom Petty, AC/DC etc. The one song I was most excited to showcase and saved until later in the night was Pearl Jam's rendition of the Jackson 5's "Someday at Christmas". PJ released this song as the side A of their 2004 Ten Club holiday 7" single. I didn't realize until just today that the album art of that PJ holiday single is a knock off of the Jackson 5's "Christmas Album" from 1970. This may have been better saved for December but I thought this was sort of a cool comparison, and a mild tribute to MJ the way I wish I could remember him.



RIP Michael Jackson (1958-2009)







Hear the comparison at this location. (download, unzip, play)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

 

SRG | NW Rock and Metal Blog Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates