Tuesday, November 9, 2010

0 BIG BROTHER #1: 9 Shows / 11 Days (Video)


So at this point in my life I am lucky enough to be able to make quite a few great shows, a lot more than most people actually. At these shows I usually shoot a video or two (or 20) and so it was decided that I should do a column based on these long stretches of shows. This column has been deemed “Big Brother” (as in big brother is always watching). Instead of trying to knock out a bunch of individual show reviews the column will feature the when/who/where of each show along with some notepad dumps and video of each band. I hope you enjoy! - PS

The first “Big Brother” column covers an 11 day period between October 27 and November 6. During these dates I was fortunate enough to be able to make it to 9 different shows, equaling a combined 24 bands (driving distance of approximately 540 miles for all of you “glass half empty” people).

10/27 Deerhunter / Real Estate @ Showbox 45.8
10/29 Rye Wolves / Sindios @ the Greenhouse
10/29 Brothers of the Sonic Cloth / Lesbian @ Comet Tavern
10/29 Metalween @ the Mars Bar 52.7
10/31 The Damage Done / The Chevy Chasers @ Sunset Tavern 40.6
11/2 Monarch! / Trees / Samothrace @ the Rendezvous 47.2
11/5 Smooth Sailing / Into the Storm / Anadonia @ Snake Pit (Olympia) 174.2
11/6 Ayahuasca Travellers / Supernaughty @ Comet Tavern
11/6 Smooth Sailing / Into the Storm / Anadonia @ Dare House (B-Ham) 179

539.5 Miles

10/27 – Deerhunter / Real Estate @ Showbox at the Market

Yes, I was aware that Keelhaul and Russian Circles were playing over at Neumos that night, but I am just too big of a fan of Real Estate to not see them when they make it to town. Not to mention Bradford Cox (guitarist/vocalist of Deerhunter) is quickly becoming one of my favorite musicians. If you dig Deerhunter at all I’d strongly recommend checking out his other project called Atlas Sound, brilliant is about the only way I can describe it.

Real Estate – It’s Real (BRAND NEW SONG)


Deerhunter – Helicopter


10/29 – Metalween @ the Mars Bar / Rye Wolves & Sindios @ the Greenhouse / Brothers of the Sonic Cloth & Lesbian @ Comet Tavern

That’s right I managed to make it to all 3 killer shows that night. Granted I only caught a little bit of each one but it was still one hell of a night of music. To cap the night off I made it back to the Mars Bar to rock out to the last few songs of Seattle Rock Guy Nik’s killer metal DJ set. Here are videos and a picture from all stops.

Vultures 2012 – Creeping Death (Metallica Cover) @ Metalween


Sindios @ the Greenhouse


Rye Wolves – Deforestation @ the Greenhouse

Rye Wolves are currently between drummers so instead of bagging the show they instead wrote a 35 minute ambient piece titled Deforestation. It’s one long song and you can watch most of it HERE)


Brothers of the Sonic Cloth @ Comet Tavern


Lesbian – Poverty and War Forever @ Comet Tavern


Seattle Rock Guy founder Nik, holding it down behind the turntables at Metalween

DJ SRG at Metalween | Photo by Erinn J. Hale

10/31 The Damage Done / The Chevy Chasers @ Sunset Tavern

This show was kind of a spur of the moment thing. All I heard were -- words words words -- Chris and Jake from Smooth Sailing -- words words words -- and I was in. The night was fun, a lot of people were in the Halloween spirit not to mention the Sunset is just a great place to catch a show so all in all a pretty dope night. (Chris and Jake play in The Damage Done)

The Damage Done


The Chevy Chasers @ Sunset Tavern


11/2 Monarch! (France) / Trees (PDX) / Samothrace @ the Rendezvous

“What has 6 legs and 2 heads?...............................................Nirvana” that’s how Emilie a.k.a Eurogirl from Monarch! started their set. It was completely out of nowhere and it was awesome. About the show, what can I say? It was heavy, it was slow, it made me want to burn things….and oh yeah it was super super heavy. Doom metal is definitely not for lightweight metal fans. Luckily I’m not, and I loved every single second of the show that night.

Samothrace


Monarch! (France)


Trees (PDX)


11/5 Smooth Sailing / Into the Storm / Anadonia @ the Snake Pit (Olympia)

Of course I made it to Olympia, it was Smooth Sailing! I also wanted to catch Into the Storm for a second time. The last time I saw them was also the first night I caught Smooth Sailing, so my memory of their performance was a little hazy. I will say that I did kind of beat them up a bit in the review from that night but I am super happy to say that they fucking kicked a ton of ass in Olympia. Into the Storm is definitely included in my list of favorite local metal bands.

Smooth Sailing – Rectum? Damn Near Killed Um


Into the Storm – Sleeping Through The Thunder


Anadonia - At the risk of sounding like a giant pussy, these guys (and gal) were breath taking. I believe an entire separate write up is definitely in order. Stay tuned!

11/6 Ayahuasca Travellers / Supernaughty (Black Sabbath Cover Band) @ Comet Tavern

So I live in Everett and I was heading to Bellingham that night for a show, so I figured it was only appropriate to drive to Seattle first to catch a matinee show. It was well worth the trouble, I certainly have no regrets.

Ayahuasca Travellers


Supernaughty – Children of the Grave


11/6 Smooth Sailing / Into the Storm / Anadonia @ The Dare House (Bellingham)

Of course I made it to Bellingham, it was Smooth Sailing! No you are not witnessing an accidental copy/paste error. I drove up to Bellingham to catch the same show I saw the night before in Olympia. Couple things worth mentioning: Smooth Sailing played without Timmy Keener (lights), he was missed. SS and ItS both played new material. It was sick.Video of new songs from both bands below.

Smooth Sailing – Red Dawn


Into the Storm – Bodhi


Words and Videos by Palmer Sather

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

 

SRG | NW Rock and Metal Blog Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates