Monday, December 31, 2012

0 Joe Wickström's (Nether Regions) Top Releases of 2012


1. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! (Constellation):  Not an album, a fucking journey. I was really excited when they announced that they would be releasing an album and I wasn't disappointed. Cascading dark beauty from top to bottom.

2. Leonard Cohen- Old Ideas (Columbia) - The Messiah of Music: At 78 he only becomes wiser and more brilliant. Some people are all about Dylan's lyrics but Leonard is the man as far as I am concerned. Madness, Spirituality, Dark Humor and loss. I wish he was my dad.

3. Atriarch - Ritual of Passing (Profound Lore Records): A Portland treasure. Some call it funeral doom but to me they sound more like Joy Division being run over by a fucking armored division.

4. Tragedy- Darker Days Ahead (Tragedy Records): Some folks didn't quite get this record but I love it. In fact, I love everything this band is, and has always been about. Lots of mid tempo hardcore with great bass lines on this release.

5. Hour of 13-333 (Earache Records): Classic devil metal along the lines of Merciful Fate, Pentagram, and Black Sabbath. Perhaps not reinventing the wheel but certainly crafting some perfect metal songs. I call this "comfort metal" as it reminds me of being a teenager.

Portland's Nether Regions is currently working on the follow-up to their debut LP, "Into the Breach". Their next show is the 3rd Annual FREE metal show at Branx also featuring Lord Dying, Gaytheist, and Atriarch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

 

SRG | NW Rock and Metal Blog Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates