
Even though I compiled a rather lengthy list of shows for July, it was a rather slow month for me as far as concert going goes. I only attended 3 of my 26 listed, not a good number. I suppose seeing 25 bands at the block party fills in the void, right? I had a few more important things on my plate this month like a vacation in Hawaii and my wedding. My goal is to do better in August, but right now I am looking at my calendar and a few of the killer shows happening in August I won't be able to attend.....Booooo! Anyways, the show must go on, and again I took the liberty of compiling the shows that I would attend, or are attending this August. As an added bonus I added some stars next to the one's I highly recommend, the others are just good shows.
Seattle Rock City!
Oh yeah, September is shaping up nicely with Musicfest NW and Sunny Day Real Estate, 2 Pearl Jam shows, and Alice in Chains plays the Moore. I feel better now!
8/2 – The Henry Clay People, The Final Spins, Black Whales @ Crocodile
- Pretty Descent folk rock line-up including Seattle's The Final Spins.
8/2 - Bison BC @ El Corazon
- Killer Sludge Metal
8/2 - John Doe and The Sadies @ Tractor Tavern
- X frontman's country project
8/3 - The Blakes, U.S.E., and Battle Hymms @ Crocodile
- Excellent Local showcase
**8/5 - Sunn O))), The Accused, Trap Them, Black Breath @ Neumos
- Night one Sunn O))) plays as a duo, and it's the CD release from Seattle's own The Accused
**8/6 - Sunn O))), Pelican, Earth, Eagle Twin @ Neumos
- Both nights are great Southern Lord showcases making the decision very hard.
**8/7 - Poison Idea, Zeke @ El Corazon
- Tattoo Convention afterparty with northwest hardcore legends
**8/7 - Seaweed, The Whore Moans, and Redwood Plan @ Crocodile
- Very excited for this awesome local showcase, might beat out Nebula?
**8/7 - Nebula, Scott Kelly, A Storm of Light, The Entrance Band, Valis @ Chop Suey
- Amazing stoner lineup and return of Nebula
8/7 - Phish @ The Gorge
- Why Not?
8/8 - Phish @ The Gorge
- Ditto
**8/8 - KEXP BBQ: Dinosaur Jr, Viva Voce, Cymbals Eat Guitars, Japandroids, Born Anchors, Champagne Champagne
- Great lineup, Dino Jr!!! Best part its free!
**8/8 - Heaven and Hell, Testament @ WaMu Theater
- Bummed I can't make this one, it's sure to be a killer show. DIO! \m/\m/
8/10 - Depeche Mode @ Key Arena
- I would hope this would be a good show for the price, electro-pop legends.
**8/11 - Down, Melvins, Danava, Weedeater @ Showbox Sodo
- Shouldn't have to say much about this other than go! They added some solid supporter too: Danava from Portland plays pretty cool psych stoner rock, and Weedeater is pure sludge.
8/12 - Demon Hunter, Heiress @ El Corazon
- Local metalcore guys return with John Pettibone (ex-Himsa) new project
8/13 - The Duchess and the Duke, Fences @ Tractor Tavern
- Honest Folk Rock
**8/14 - Red Fang, Lions, Little Cuts @ Sunset Tavern
- No! No! I can't go. My Seattle wedding reception. Maybe I'll get to see RF in Portland during MFNW. Amazing northwest stoner metal band, must see!
8/14-15 - Doe Bay Festival @ Orcas Island
- Great line-up of folk bands: The Long Winters, David Bazan, The Maldives, Hey Marseilles, Friday Mile, The Moondoggies, The Lonely Forest
8/18 - Six Organs of Admittance, Master Musicians of Bukkake @ Crocodile
- SOOA play really cool ambient stoney music, if you like Sunn O))) you'll like MMOB.
8/18 - The Cave Singers @ Easy Street
- Free in-store performance commemorating their newest release "Welcome Joy"
8/20 - Fruit Bats @ Crocodile
- From what I've heard these Seattle transplants play pretty cool folk rock, contain The Shins newest member Eric Johnson as well.
8/20 - Thee Oh Sees, Sic Alps, Partman Parthouse @ Funhouse
- Thee Oh Sees put out one of my fav records of the year so far!
**8/21 - KEXP Mural Concert Series: Fruit Bats, Moondoggies
- Part of KEXP sponsored FREE shows this summer at Mural Amphitheater
**8/21 - The Flaming Lips @ Marymoor Park
- May have the best stage show of all time, they also have a double album of new material to play.
**8/21 - Pissed Jeans @ Chop Suey
- Sub Pop's noise rockers have a new album too.
8/22 - Annual Layne Staley Fund Benefit Concert @ Showbox Sodo
- Lineup has traditionally sucked, this year is no exception unless they re-add Second Coming back to the bill, not sure what happened.
8/23 - Elvis Costello @ Chateau St. Michelle
- He's a legend!
8/25 – Forbidden, Drown Mary, The Braindead @ El Corazon
- Thrash metal legends with local favorites
8/26 - Jay Reatard @ Easy Street
-Free in-store performance part of his indie music store tour
8/26 - The Cult @ Moore Theater
- Last years Cult show at the showbox was a life affirming experience, they rock hard live!
8/27 - Jay Reatard @ Sonic Boom Records
- Awesome! Two Seattle stops on his indie store tour
8/27 - The Maldives @ Tractor Tavern
- First of two nights with popular alt-country locals
8/27 – The Pretenders, Cat Power and Julliete Lewis @ Marymoor Park
- Girl Power!
**8/28 – The Maldives, Moondoggies @ Tractor Tavern
- 2nd night for The Maldives, with my favorite Moondoggies, how did they get two nights?
8/28 – Jucifer, Lesbian, Plaster @ El Corazon
- Heavy lineup!
8/29 – Harvey Danger (Last Show) @ Crocodile
- Last chance if you care?
**8/29 - In Memorium, Black Goat, Scorched Earth, Grey, Toe Tag @ Studio Seven
- Great local metal showcase, really good!
8/29 - The Maldives, SHIM, Thee Emergency @ Tractor Tavern
- 3 shows, maybe I should pay more attention?
8/29 - The Avett Brothers, Heartless Bastards @ Paramount Theater
- The Avett Brothers impressed me at Sasquatch 2009, and Heartless Bastards Rock!!
8/31 – AC/DC @ Tacoma Dome
- Got to see them at least once, pricey though!
Well that's what I got so far, Cheers!



The Maldives are actually playing three nights in a row at The Tractor Nik.
ReplyDeleteAnd why? Because they could pack the place for a week if given the chance! Looks like I'll be seeing you at a number of shows in the next month!
I know you post mostly on local shows and artists, but is it truly possible you missed/forgot/ignored the "mainstream" Pain in the Grass show on the 22nd? I only add this because I love Slipknot and Mudvayne, but also playing are Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society, Chevelle, Saliva, Static-X(I could care less about Static-X) and more...
ReplyDeleteOops...3 shows that's incredible!
ReplyDeleteI ignored the Pain in the Grass show because I just can't say I'm a fan of those bands. There was a time in my life where Ozzfest was a highlight of the summer, and I've seen all those bands on numerous occasions, but that ship sailed sometime ago. I will say Slipknot's live show is a worthwhile experience at least once though.
Thanks for the comments, and the recommendations!!!
Looking foward to it, Abbey!
ReplyDelete