Friday, December 24, 2010

0 LIST MANIA: Palmer's 5 Favorite Records of 2010


First I’d like to take this opportunity to thank Nik and all the other contributors here at SRG. You all have opened my eyes to an overwhelming number of great bands playing right under my nose. Words can’t express the gratitude I have for each and every one of you.

Alright enough sappy shit, here is my list of my 5 most favorite albums from 2010. You may notice there really isn’t a whole lot of metal….sue me.


1. Beach Fossils – S/T

The Beach Fossils are a quartet out of Brooklyn that plays what I would call lo-fi beach music. Their style and sound is nothing overly complicated or ground breaking but its simplicity is kind of what makes it amazing in my opinion. The joy I get listening to this record even after the ridiculous amount of times I’ve listened to it is scary at times. I’m okay with that though. This self-titled album is the first record in their discography.

Favorite song: Golden Age



2. Wild Nothing – Gemini

Wild Nothing is a one-man band project by a guy named Jack Tatum (Jack and the Whale, and Facepaint), similar to Bradford Cox’s project, Atlas Sound. It’s soft, it’s mellow, and it will make you think happy thoughts.

Favorite Song: Our Composition Book





3. Thee Oh Sees – Warm Slime

So most of the reviews I’ve read about this record have been a little less than flattering, and I’ll even admit that it took me a few listens for me to really appreciate it, but once I did I was fully on board and in love. Thee Oh Sees or OCS or OhSees or whatever the hell they’re calling themselves at the moment, are one of my favorite bands no doubt, and this record stands as one of my favorites in their rather lengthy library of releases.

Favorite Song: Mega-Feast


4. Lesbian – Stratospheria Cubensis

This 5 track, 71 minute stoner metal masterpiece is without question the best metal album I heard this year. I’m still not even sure I’ve really grasped all that is happening in this album. It seems like every time I listen to it I end up spacing out and coming to in new parts.

Favorite Song: Black Stygian





5. Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti – Before Today

Despite having what is possibly the worst album cover I have ever seen, this record is "holy shit" amazing. It’s the kind of album that if you put it on for background noise while you do housework or something you’ll find yourself not getting anything done because you’ll just be sitting there listening to it. The only drawback to this album is the almost uncontrollable urge you get to build a time machine to go back and snort cocaine in the 80’s.

Favorite Song: Fright Night (Nevermore)

Words by Palmer Sather

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

 

SRG | NW Rock and Metal Blog Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates