Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2 LIST MANIA: Top 5 Records of 2010 by Lesbian Drummer Benjamin Thomas-Kennedy

Ben with Lesbian at El Corazon | Photo by Nik Christofferson
I actually listened to a lot more music this year than I have in the past. I was excited to sit down and think about what my top 10 favorite albums of the year would be. As I started to do so, I realized that most of what I was listening to was made in the 70's. Below is a top 5 of 2010 releases. Its the best I could do.

Far East Family Band - Nipponjin

Okay so I am already cheating. This was reissued this year so that's my loophole. Recorded in '75, this album has some of my favorite Japanese psychedelic eastern-hippy space jams on it. It grooves for miles and has lasers!






Solar Bears - She Was Coloured In

This is the perfect soundtrack for a spaceship joyride. It sounds like these guys were making techno music in the 90's but could only listen to Cluster's Zuckerziet and the Tortoise songs that everyone made fun of. It totally works. Plus, it actually came out in 2010.






Lesbian - Stratospheria Cubensis

My Lesbros and I released this album this year. The truth is, we wouldn't have put it out if we didn't think it was good, so it has to be on this list. Hear it here: http://lesbian.bandcamp.com/








Sun City Girls - Funeral Mariachi

This is the final Sun City Girls album. Not all of their records are good; but when they are, they are better than everyone else. This one is really good. RIP SCG







Coil

Okay so I am cheating again; but while on the subject of death, Peter "Sleazy" Christopherson died in 2010. He was the last living half of Coil. They are the only band whose entire catalog is in my I-Tunes. I recommend all of it.






Words by Benjamin Thomas-Kennedy

Notes from editor: Benjamin Thomas-Kennedy is the skinsman for the mighty Lesbian, he also produces ambient music under the pseudonym BLOUSE (u.s.a)

Listen: blouseblouse.bandcamp.com

A sincere thanks to Ben for his return contribution to SRG's end of the year coverage, so much cool stuff to check out once again.

Links:

Lesbian's MySpace

2 Comments:

 

SRG | NW Rock and Metal Blog Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates