Thursday, October 27, 2011

6 RECORD REVIEW: The Spits - S/T (5th Album)


 Fuck yeah! The new Spits record is finally out!

After a long wait that included hearing a rumor about how The Spits themselves bootlegged CD-R copies on Ebay for way too much cash, the much anticipated 5th full length studio album is now officially available online via In the Red Records and in local shops like Sonic Boom.

The Spits are a weird phenomenon, while praised the world over, their recordings have always been pretty fucking shitty and fail massively in comparison to their live show. Yes, I know they are weird and it’s the aesthetic they are going for and it’s their “we do what we want” punk ethos and live show that have probably garnered the band it’s large underground following in the first place, but there’s a large part of me that wishes they would just record a straight forward record that captures their live intensity and brilliance. Those lo-fi basement recordings with vocals that sound like they are being played at the wrong RPM fall flat for me on most occasions. Take for instance “My Mess” on the new record, it’s an otherwise killer tune with raging guitars that suffers big time from the previously mentioned “I’m too hammered to sing” vocals – of course the joke may be on me because there is mention of being “too fucked up” in the lyrics which would make more sense. The fact of the matter is all too often I find myself listening to their 2006 UK Tour EP which features killer live versions of “Bring” and “Nuclear Bomb” among other hits just because it reminds of how great their live show truly is. Don’t get me wrong, the 5th album does have a few gems, including opening track “All I Want” and “Wanna Be ADD” and I can tell it’s growing on me.

Actually, who am I kidding I love everything The Spits have ever done, and I’ll probably spin this one 20 more times and tell you in a couple weeks that it’s amazing. If you are a fan of one of Seattle’s greatest bands of all time you will dig the new record, but for folks just finding The Spits I recommend anything prior for a primer, then come back and grab the 5th album.

The Spits have a big record release party planned for Friday November 4th at Chop Suey before heading out on tour. The show also features Mouthbreathers, Skelator, and DEADKILL. Tickets are about sold out but you can try to snag one HERE.


Posted by Nik Christofferson

6 Comments:

  1. I've heard so many people complain about the same thing re: their recordings, but I just don't get it. The recordings are killer. The live shows are killer. The Spits are killer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'm with the boring majority on that point. The Spits are one of my favorite bands either way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, I just realized, it sounds like its at the wrong rpm, because it is at the wrong rpm. I played my record at 45, and the words now make sense, and the music doesn't sound ridiculously slow. I'm not sure if I'm playing it faster than its supposed to be, but damn it sounds a lot better.

    Its fast raw apocalypse punk at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great recording would be an interesting curiosity, but sometimes there's nothing better than a crappy recording! Especially when the Spits are concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This album is SO good, I cant stop listening to it. The production on it seems a bit better than their previous albums. Some of the songs are almost pretty in a really fucked up, shitty way. BUY IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has definitely grown on me. Long live The Spits!

    ReplyDelete

 

SRG | NW Rock and Metal Blog Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates