Wednesday, December 28, 2011

3 LIST MANIA: Robert Ham (Freelancer for The Oregonian, Willamette Week, Alternative Press, etc


I wanted to spend some time giving you the hows and whys of my favorite albums and shows of 2011, but as you will see from some of my choices, I've been spending much of the year getting shit from people for what I enjoyed. So, instead, I give you my lists without commentary. I do, however, invite you to leave comments to this post directed straight my way or to call my shit out direct on Twitter (@bob_ham). I will work with you directly either enjoying a virtual high five with folks who agree with me or arguing my case in defense of an album/show. Bring it on.

Top 10 Heavy Albums of 2011

1. Toxic Holocaust - Capture and Command (Relapse)
2. Liturgy - Aesthethica (Thrill Jockey)
3. Lou Reed/Metallica - Lulu (Warner Bros.)
4. Red Fang - Murder The Mountains (Relapse)
5. YOB - Atma (Profound Lore)
6. Wolves In The Throne Room - Celestial Lineage (Southern Lord)
7. Russian Circles - Empros (Sargent House)
8. Obits - Moody, Standard & Poor (Sub Pop)
9. White Hills - H-p1 (Thrill Jockey)
10. Witch Mountain - South of Salem (self-released)


Top 10 Rock Shows of 2011

1. Author & Punisher/Eight Bells, Fall Into Darkness Festival @ Rotture, 10/6/11

2. Red Fang aboard The Portland Spirit, 3/1/11

3. Kylesa, Musicfest NW @ Dante's, 9/8/11

4. Shellac @ Holocene, 10/26/11

5. Nanotear Booking Showcase (YOB/Agalloch/Witch Mountain/Wizard Rifle), SXSW @ Barbarella, 3/17/11

6. Liquorball/Hank IV/Unnatural Helpers @ Slabtown, 2/5/11

7. Smmr Bmmr 2011 (highlights: The Trashies/The Moonhearts/Apache/The Ketamines) @ Plan B, 8/6/11

8. Rush @ Sleep Country Amphitheater, 6/28/11

9. Dog Shredder/Lozen @ Saratoga, 3/25/11

10. Grenades/Sloths/Grandfather/Bitches Crystal @ The Josephine, 9/3/11

3 Comments:

  1. Interested to hear your thoughts on Lulu, and why you have it at number 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was a daring achievement on behalf of both Reed/Metallica. It forced Reed to get more aggressive than he has dared in years, and Metallica has never sounded as experimental as they do here (especially on the last trio of songs). I found myself listening to it a lot. But only in one full 90 minute chunk. It doesn't work in bits and pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. virtual hi fives: Obits (They fell off my radar this year, I had no idea they had a new album out - thanks!) & Rush (after seeing them for 20+ years, finally got to see "Witch Hunt" and "Camera Eye" live)

    ReplyDelete

 

SRG | NW Rock and Metal Blog Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates