Seattle’s own Splatter Rock legends are about ready to release their 7th full length LP “The Curse of Martha Splatterhead” on August 18th via Southern Lord Records. The Accüsed signed a multi-album deal with Southern Lord Records in early 2009, and have been resurrected by founding member guitarist Tom Niemeyer (ex-Gruntruck ). The legendary Seattle cross-over band lost their longtime frontman Blaine Cook, bass player Alex Sibbald, and drummer Steve Nelson to a new project called Toe Tag in 2005, so “The Curse of Martha Splatterhead” will mark the recorded debut of new line-up Brad Mowen (ex-Burning Witch) on vocals, Mike Peterson on drums, and Dorando Hodous on bass as well as Tommy on guitar.
These Seattle legends have been slaying their fans since 1980, with their unique brand of cross-over thrash deemed “Splatter Rock” by the band in the 80's as homage to their favorite genre of horror films. They are one of the most respected bands ever to come out of Seattle, and especially in the underground metal world. All through the eighties they tore faces off with their trashy riffs, and brutal throat shredding. In the 1990’s they went on hiatus, and Tommy joined Gruntruck. In 2003 they regrouped and in 2005 released their 6th record “Oh, Martha”. I saw the record release show for “Oh, Martha” at El Corazon and it was an amazing show. The crowd consisted of a bunch of older punk rockers, whom had been waiting for that night since the early nineties when The Accüsed called it quits. I had numerous conversations with guys who had been dreaming of the day they could unfold their Martha Splatterhead T-shirt and represent. I also heard many stories of the early days, and how influencial the band was on the Seattle music scene and beyond. I have to give cudos to mainstream metal guy Randy Blythe of Lamb of God, who runs around championing the band by wearing his The Accüsed t-shirt during shows. There probably wouldn’t be much chance for younger people to find out about this underground treasure, if it weren’t for people like him spreading the word. The recent resurrection of The Accüsed, and them signing to Southern Lord might also open the door for a new wave of people to uncover the amazing stuff they released in the 80’s, and the new stuff as well. Check out “The Return of Martha Splatterhead”, and “More Fun Than An Open Casket Funeral” and tell me they don’t kick ass!

This Wednesday The Accüsed are playing in Seattle and celebrating their record release a little early at Neumos. They are opening for Southern Lord drone metal head honchos Sunn O))) as part of a two day Southern Lord band filled event I’ve been calling “Sunn O)))fest”. Wednesday, it’s Sunn O))) playing as a duo and recreating their early “Grimmrobe Demos”, with The Accüsed, TRAP THEM and Black Breath. Thursday Sunn O))) is playing as a 5 piece including Attila Csihar of Norway’s Mayhem. Also on the outstanding bill are Pelican, Earth, and Eagle Twin. Both of these shows are extremely stellar, and I’ve had a hell of a time trying to pick which one to attend. I made my choice yesterday and picked The Accüsed for three reasons: I’ve seen Sunn O))) as a five piece twice before, I just saw Earth again at the CHBP, and I saw Pelican for the second time earlier in the year. With that said, I’ve never seen Sunn O))) peform their early demos as a two piece and I fucking love The Accüsed! Decision made!
Check out this video of The Accüsed in their heyday:



0 Comments:
Post a Comment